Monday, March 14, 2011

Turtle Knight Art Trade

Yesterday was Richard's birthday and this is the card I gave him this year. He designed a turtle knight and a mouse page during our junior year character design class and this is my version of his characters. The Rabbit King I designed before fits into their world as well.
I colored the two characters and their branch first with markers on cold press watercolor paper. I knew I wanted the background to be less saturated so the focus would be on the characters so I painted layers of watercolor washes on hot press watercolor paper to create the hills and then did the detailing in colored pencils. The landscape is a sort of combination of the green Scottish country side and my home state of Iowa. I also exaggerated the hill the castle is on from the original drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment